My journey - battling lymphoma

Recently I celebrated my 46th birthday. I love celebrating birthdays! Then I participated as a co-captain for our local "Quabog" Relay For Life and the Pack 57 Rocks! Cub Scout Team. This was the time frame that I had discovered an uneasiness in my stomach and growth in my spleen and stomach. After weeks of monitoring, my husband Steve took me to the doctor who felt the lumps and ordered a CT scan. The CT scan showed a massive area, my spleen enlarged to twice its size and an additional growth lower in my stomach. Next was the localized CT guided biopsy and subsequent PET scan. The biopsy showed positive for lymphoma and most likely Diffuse Large B-cell Lymphoma.

This is my online journal sharing my experience through battling this cancer that has abruptly entered my life for no apparent reason. The story is documented here if you want to start from the beginning, you can check the archives on the side bar.

As a top competitive master athlete this year winning my age group at the Marine Corps Marathon and placing 3rd in the New England Trail Running Championship I have been truly excited with my results of late and am a truly driven athlete. Driven by goals.... my goal right now.... to beat this "thing"!

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Diagnosis: Diffuse Large B-cell Lymphoma



Hi Dr. Len -

We just got back from the oncologist and the diagnosis is diffuse large b-cell lymphoma.  We have set up a second opinion by Dr. Jeffrey Barnes at MASS General on Friday.  I have a PET scan scheduled for tomorrow with blood work and then an Ecko (?) test as well to test my heart.  So busy in the next 2 days - to get all this done as we are going on our pre-planned vacation / ski camp trip to Mt. Hood for next week (after a little arm twisting and "negotiating" with Doc Smith) and then hit the ground running on the Monday we get back with Chemo as the regime for 6 cycles.  of Rchop as the treatment. It should last a total of 4 months (through Nov).  

We would love to talk to you at some point soon to get our arms around all of this -- but so far are happy with the local Dr. Smith and her staff to expedite things through insurance and information to date.  

Please let me know anything via email and if you have any time tomorrow afternoon after the PET scan to talk that would be great too.   I have included you as a doctor to send all results and gave them the 250 Williams St. address.  Please let me know if there is a different address to send info.

Thanks again for all your support.

1 comment:

Ruben Flores said...

Nancy,

I just heard that you have cancer. "Not Nancy!" was my first thought. You are such an inspiration to so many people and now we all lift you up in prayer. You are loved and cherished! You will win this race and your family/friends will celebrate with you.

Ruben