My journey - battling lymphoma

Recently I celebrated my 46th birthday. I love celebrating birthdays! Then I participated as a co-captain for our local "Quabog" Relay For Life and the Pack 57 Rocks! Cub Scout Team. This was the time frame that I had discovered an uneasiness in my stomach and growth in my spleen and stomach. After weeks of monitoring, my husband Steve took me to the doctor who felt the lumps and ordered a CT scan. The CT scan showed a massive area, my spleen enlarged to twice its size and an additional growth lower in my stomach. Next was the localized CT guided biopsy and subsequent PET scan. The biopsy showed positive for lymphoma and most likely Diffuse Large B-cell Lymphoma.

This is my online journal sharing my experience through battling this cancer that has abruptly entered my life for no apparent reason. The story is documented here if you want to start from the beginning, you can check the archives on the side bar.

As a top competitive master athlete this year winning my age group at the Marine Corps Marathon and placing 3rd in the New England Trail Running Championship I have been truly excited with my results of late and am a truly driven athlete. Driven by goals.... my goal right now.... to beat this "thing"!

Thursday, July 8, 2010

No Mt Hood for us :(

So they say it is rapid growing....  this Diffuse Large B cell lymphoma....   From all the research the earlier you treat it the better your "chances" of being cured --- that is to have it GONE and stay GONE!  So no Mt Hood vacation skiing on the glacier, watching Schuyler ski, skiing with Steve, chasing gates (getting slanmmed with slalom gates - OUCH) --- and enjoying the beauty of Oregon in the wine country...  Oh well... I need to get on this right away.  Steve is so happy I came to my senses as was the doctor, but GOOGLE gave me quite a scare and we needed to make the decision to stay home and this would give Reed a chance to still get on another flight and all the kids informed before we go out there and I dwell on the fact that we didn't start treatment.



Dave Gregory has been absolutely amazing, supportive and understanding. We have 5-6 kids total that were going to the camp and we really really wanted to be there.  Here is a pic of the Fuxi truck at the ski area at Mt Hood.  :(  They have got a lot of snow up there recently and in addition to the normal lanes of skiing gates there is plenty of free skiing to be had!  :(


Link to the Peak Performance Ski Camp.  





Oh well maybe next year....  or maybe Thanksgiving....   we shall see.....  We called the ticket agency that we got the cheap tickets ($500 plus x 4) - and hoped they would consider the situation.  After a little over an hour this really great woman I talked to (Katrina) who's dad also had recently gone through cancer treatment was so empathetic she worked a discounted cancellation fee and left a note as it is up to the airlines on the $150 rebooking fee for the future.  We have until May 2011 to use the tickets.  All pretty good news and much better of course than losing the money (which we would have if we didn't call and cancel).  Again - another great person that has helped and been understanding we are thankful for...

No comments: