My journey - battling lymphoma

Recently I celebrated my 46th birthday. I love celebrating birthdays! Then I participated as a co-captain for our local "Quabog" Relay For Life and the Pack 57 Rocks! Cub Scout Team. This was the time frame that I had discovered an uneasiness in my stomach and growth in my spleen and stomach. After weeks of monitoring, my husband Steve took me to the doctor who felt the lumps and ordered a CT scan. The CT scan showed a massive area, my spleen enlarged to twice its size and an additional growth lower in my stomach. Next was the localized CT guided biopsy and subsequent PET scan. The biopsy showed positive for lymphoma and most likely Diffuse Large B-cell Lymphoma.

This is my online journal sharing my experience through battling this cancer that has abruptly entered my life for no apparent reason. The story is documented here if you want to start from the beginning, you can check the archives on the side bar.

As a top competitive master athlete this year winning my age group at the Marine Corps Marathon and placing 3rd in the New England Trail Running Championship I have been truly excited with my results of late and am a truly driven athlete. Driven by goals.... my goal right now.... to beat this "thing"!

Friday, August 6, 2010

Gone Blonde!


 I have found that if you love life, life will love you back ♥


It has been an emotional day.  
Great doc appointment with Dr. Mullally this morning, blood tests ---- getting ready for RCHOP #2.  Organized my treatment schedule and took the day off from work and from running.  Rest is so important for health.  Right up there with nutrition and hydration!  

So here is a little ditty --- I am Happy it is Friday, I am Happy my LUMPS are gone, I am Happy & in love more than ever with my sweet husband who shaved my head today!  

HAPPY

H = Drinking water is so important for healing    Hydration = Healing
A = Alpurinol = drug that helped the "junk" get out of my kidneys
P = Prednisone = Bananas really help the cramps & side effects from this drug
P = Pink Petal = Donna is amazing!
Y = Yes, I AM ALIVE and kicking harder than ever!

We did NOT have a shaving party --- so I am bringing the experience to you on Smilebox (trying it out for the first time and Hoops & Yoyo is my fave).... SO here you go.  My sweet husband Steve has been there through all the tears and smiles and anguish and anxiety and has truly helped me tough this thing out!  Enjoy it --- freaky for me to experience, and my head feels like a pin cushion of stubble.....  really hard to explain and no you don't really want to experience this.  I definitely never wanted to --- but here I am larger than life in my own slideshow.

(Experiencing technical difficulties - found out Smilebox does not work on Safari)  Will post before / during / after photos below too.  :)


Hit the green arrow to go forward and escape to finish the show.  Hoops & Yoyo have their own routine.
Enjoy!  hee hee

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
This digital slideshow created with Smilebox

I cried a couple times and getting used to the wig, bangs in my face, wondering if everyone looking at me knew I was wearing a wig.  I think I fooled a couple people that I just got my hair colored and I really believe they don't know it is a wig.  Crazy.  Getting used to the stubble on my head is very weird indeed....   

Steve has been the most amazing caregiver!  This is true love when he can actually shave my head and then just absolutely love my new hair !!  He can't take his eyes off me... :)  

Truly - Madly - Deeply

In every sense of the words! 


More photos of todays experience..... highlights from the show!

Before




During: 










After!



Please leave a note if you stopped by!  Hope you like the new me!  Or at least the new me for the next 6 months!



14 comments:

Love Letters To China said...

You look amazing!!! I love the color of your new hair. So glad to hear the lumps are gone. Indeed a happy day!

Kind regards,
Grace

edita said...

Nancy, you are truly a brave and beautiful woman, an inspiration to all. Your new hair is smashing!!!!
love from VT

Unknown said...

Love, love, love it! The video, Steve and you experiencing the "de-hairing" together (very intimate moment), his sweetness, your upbeat/nothing can get me down attitude. Love you, Nancy, stay strong!

Unknown said...

And also, you look fabulous as a blonde, who knew?! Have fun with that (blondes have more fun, and all that). But even more exciting...lumps are gone!!!!!!!!
: ))))))))))))))

Shelley said...

You are so brave, Nancy! I truly love the wig. The highlights and lowlights make it look very natural. Rock on, blondie =)

janvandine said...

You look great in every wig. I think it would be fun to have a lot of different looks.

Cara Snow said...

Could you be any hotter?? Seriously, I am actual jealous!!

Cara Snow said...

I love you too much and you look H-O-T! XOXOXO, Cara

Sasha said...

Love the new look and so glad to hear the lumps are gone. I have said befor that you can just feel the love you two have for eachother just looking at these pictures. Such a personal an intimate thing to share with you husband and post it for all of us to see. Love ya Nancy..you are an amazing, beautiful and strong woman..there is no doubt about any of that. Thank you for being you....

murman567 said...

Qutie the "drive in movie" Well done. YOu have amzing beauty, strength and love. Besides I've always thought that Sinaid O'Connor looked hot as did Demi Moore in GI Jane!!!

Karen said...

I don't know how I missed this before today! Those pics of you two are great. You can totally see your emotion. Your photog skills at their best! I agree that you look awesome as a blonde... You also have a nicely shaped head. Rob would say that's a VERY good thing!

Unknown said...

I just gotta say, you're pretty hot as a blonde.

Shirlene

Unknown said...

Hi Nancy,
I am glad so glad to hear that the lumps are gone and you really do look fabulous as a blonde! Keep up the great fight. Lymphoma has picked the wrong chick! As an aside, I've run two half marathons raising over $10,000 for the Leukemia/Lymphoma Society. Will do it again! You have many friends with you along your journey!
Love to you, Steve and your family,
Martha Witte

Justin said...

I'm thinking of you and keeping you in my prayers, Nancy! You amaze me with your energy and enthusiasm! And I love the blonde wig, you look fabulous!
Hugs,
Justin