My journey - battling lymphoma

Recently I celebrated my 46th birthday. I love celebrating birthdays! Then I participated as a co-captain for our local "Quabog" Relay For Life and the Pack 57 Rocks! Cub Scout Team. This was the time frame that I had discovered an uneasiness in my stomach and growth in my spleen and stomach. After weeks of monitoring, my husband Steve took me to the doctor who felt the lumps and ordered a CT scan. The CT scan showed a massive area, my spleen enlarged to twice its size and an additional growth lower in my stomach. Next was the localized CT guided biopsy and subsequent PET scan. The biopsy showed positive for lymphoma and most likely Diffuse Large B-cell Lymphoma.

This is my online journal sharing my experience through battling this cancer that has abruptly entered my life for no apparent reason. The story is documented here if you want to start from the beginning, you can check the archives on the side bar.

As a top competitive master athlete this year winning my age group at the Marine Corps Marathon and placing 3rd in the New England Trail Running Championship I have been truly excited with my results of late and am a truly driven athlete. Driven by goals.... my goal right now.... to beat this "thing"!

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Telling my story --- >>> Take 1




Not sure how many may see this post as it is a rehearsal for my presentation on Saturday for those that may be attending the Summit in Springfield....  but for the most part I think I am safe, not knowing the traffic to my site from local Relay leadership.   

This is a practice of my speech --- which really didn't go so well in my mind. 
 But it is a first try, so I hope to get better.  Gotta love Photo Booth!  :)  
I wish I could be just a little funnier.....   :)  I will keep practicing. :)  It was hard to do and honestly I was fighting the tears when I watched it back --- so try try again.








My notes for NEDIV Relay U Closing

Celebrate Birthdays 
Audience Participation =  Fight Back

My 46th Birthday
Lump discovery
Athletic Achievements
Cancer Diagnosis
Hope plus Humor = Healing

Quote:
 "It IS all about HOPE... and once you have HOPE 
you can share HOPE and if you inspire others, they can in turn inspire you."

Losing your Hair
Being Bald
Many Looks  - The Pirate Cap

Don't stop - keep pushing, keep running
Chicago Marathon
"Freakish"

Survivorship
UTC Relay
Caregiver

Quote:
"No one can hold you back from doing all the things you want to do.  Just keep your goals in sight, listen to your body and take one day at a time.  Some days will be better than others, but every day is a blessing. - so make each day the best it can be. "


Playing around with Photo Booth this morning --  some self portraits getting ready for my rehearsal.  :)







  

3 comments:

Love Letters To China said...

Nancy.... I think you did a wonderful job on your speech. I love how you're having the audience participate. Not just reading off of cards, but telling your story from the heart. You truly are an inspiration. I'm sure you're going to nail it on Saturday! It takes a strong willed, confident person to post something like this on a public blog. Kuddos to you!

Unknown said...

Nancy sending you light and peace - your story is so real and present - what a gift to share with the audience. It innately inspires HOPE. Namaste' Michele Horst

Wendy J. Matthews said...

Good luck today! You will be great sending hugs.
xoxo
Wendy